[SI-LIST] Re: impedance relation with frequency...

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <andrew.c.byers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:40:25 -0700

Hi Andrew,
I would like some help understanding the difference between board traces =
and "chip lines".  My experience has been that I can TDR a trace using a =
35ps risetime, or through 100 and 400ps filters, and measure the same Z0 =
for that trace.  This would seem to be backed up by the fact that there =
is no compensation made when measuring traces with different TDRs, =
regardless of their risetime.

I just confirmed that again, measuring the same 3" microstrip trace with =
no filter, and 100ps and 400ps filters, and finding the TDR and TDT =
waveforms stabilize at the same level, regardless of the risetime.  Of =
course, there's significant impact to the risetime of the TDT, but the =
Z0 of the trace (as indicated by the DC level of the TDR trace) remains =
constant.

This implies to me that the Z0 of the trace is constant for 10GHz , =
3.5GHz, or 875MHz (35ps, 100ps, 400ps risetimes, respectively).

My experience with VNA seems to substantiate this - S11 typically =
remains fairly constant (other than resonances at lambda/4, etc.) while =
S21 varies with frequency due to loss effects.

Is there something else I'm missing?

Jeff Loyer