[SI-LIST] Re: ibis limitations

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:04:23 -0700

Chris,

Who would beleive that we would ever agree?

Yes, Hspice does have issues with modeling loss, especially with lossy
materials like FR4.  These can sometimes be resolved with w-element
table models, but the root cause is generally non-causality caused by
modeling dielectric loss and dielectric constant as fixed quantities.

There is a great deal of research in the area of dielectric modeling at
this time and much may come out of it.  But at this time, the best
solution is use precise s-parameter measurements of the structures and a
methodology to simulate them.  One is ADS, as you have mentioned.
 Another is Nspice by Apache, which will support n-port s-parameters.
 Another is Broadband Spice by Sigrity, which will convert n-port
s-parameters into a Spice black box.   All will give exceedingly good
results and are well beyond the capabilities of any IBIS board level
simulator.

Best regards,

Scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

Chris Cheng wrote:

>Well said Scott. And no one would probably image this come from Chris' mouth
>but even HSPICE seems to have significant problem modeling advanced
>packaging and long lossy interconnect with dielectric loss. A more advanced
>simulator like Agilent ADS seems to do the job better.
>Chris

List archives are viewable at: