[SI-LIST] cat 6 RJ45 jack for PCB

  • From: jan.vercammen1@xxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:48:37 +0200

si-list,

I have a colleague who experiences problems with 660Mbit/s LVDS on a cat 6
S/STP
cable (stranded coaxial overall shield, differential pairs are foil
shielded). The cable is
but 3m long. This LVDS chain is used in an industrial machine.

One observes: works-->some bit-errors-->receiver cannot lock (for about
500-1000ns)-->
relock but some -->bit errors-->works. The errors hard to or impossible to
reproduce on a test bench
and they seem to occur at random.

We do not know the cause but we are trying to improve the quality of the
LVDS chain,

We use SER/DES 921224/921023 and they are terminated in 100ohm
(differentially). Crosstalk
measurements have not been performed.

After checking the connector we found it to be cat 5, it is specified for
NEXT to only 100MHz.
The connector NEXT is much worse than the cable next, for example cable
NEXT is
90dB at 100MHz but only 40dB for the connector.

Because the cable contains both transmit and receive we wonder if we need
to improve
the connector. Currently we are using a Tyco RJ45 connector (partnumber
406549-1), which
is cat 5.

I searched the web but I find a large number of dstributors and Tyco does
not seem to
offer cat 6 RJ 45 PCB jacks.

My questions:
-1- are category 6 PCB mounted RJ45 jacks common?
-2- manufacturers??
-3- any experience to share?

Thank you in advance,

Jan Vercammen