[SI-LIST] Re: cPCI backplane signal traces - characteristic impedance

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sexton, Brian M. \(US SSA\)" <brian.m.sexton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:45:18 -0400

Brian,

Why not design a flex with cross-hatched planes?     You have to be
careful about placing your signals w.r.t. the holes, on both sides of
the plane, but you should be able to adjust for 65 ohms and get the
performance that you need with a laminate like Pyralux FR, which has an
Er of 3.05.   No matter what, you're going to have to do some
significant modeling to make this mess work.

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Sexton, Brian M. (US SSA) wrote:
> In reading the PCI specification for 66MHz cPCI backplanes, it states
> one should use 65 ohms for the bussed signals.  I believe that COTS
> backplanes use a recipe like this with traditional strip-line
> construction.  It also states the 66MHz backplanes should be 5 slots or
> less.
> =20
> We need to design a 5-slot cPCI rigid-flex-rigid backplane which also
> includes routing for lots of 100 ohm differential I/O pairs.  It is only
> the I/O that crosses the flex.  The cPCI section is the traditional 0.8"
> pitch using the normal hard metric connectors in one of the rigid
> sections. =20
> =20
> My problem is that it takes (4) double sided flex layers for all the I/O
> signals that cross between the hard boards.  At 5 mils dielectric per
> flex, it is almost impossible to make the 65 ohms on those layers.  If I
> use a traditional 65 ohm stripline for the PCI signals, and only use the
> flex layers for the I/O, my backplane will be greater than 0.200" thick.
>
> =20
> My question is how well a 66HMz cPCI would work running the signals at
> 50 ohms.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I'm not sure how
> much margin is in the 65 recipe in the spec, and I don't have good
> models for the connectors and such to trust a simulation.
> =20
> My only other idea was to stackup the PCI area differently than the rest
> of the backplane and essentially make them asymmetrical striplines using
> a plane-void-signal-plane, where the I/O would be more of a plane-signal
> plane stackup.  No signals would need to cross a stack up change.
> However, some people have been worried about the manufacturing yield of
> doing it.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Brian

> List technical documents are available at: