[SI-LIST] Re: breakdown voltage (arching) equation

  • From: Chris Padilla <cpad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:54:55 -0800

Gus,

I am looking at an Appendix in an old EM book from college and it gives a
small table of materials with their Dielectric Constant (er) and Dielectric
Strength given in Volts per meter (V/m) units.

                         er              Strength (V/m)

Barium titanate 1200            7.5e6
Water (sea)             80              ~
Water (distilled)       81              ~
Nylon                   8               ~
Paper                   7               12e6
Glass                   5-10            35e6
Mica                    6               70e6
Porcelain               6               ~
Bakelite                5               20e6
Quartz (fused)  5               30e6
Rubber (hard)   3.1             25e6
Wood                    2.5-8.0 ~
Polystyrene             2.55            ~
Polypropylene   2.25            ~
Paraffin                2.2             30e6
Petroleum oil   2.1             12e6
Air (1 atm.)            1               3e6 (76.2 V/mil)

I hope these columns come out legible for you and answer your question.  I
don't know the breakdown for FR-4 but I suspect it is in the Glass/Mica
range and perhaps a magnitude better than air.

----->Chris

At 08:03 AM 11/4/2003 -0800, gustavo.duenas@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Hello all ,
>
>Does anyone know of an equation that relates breakdown voltage (arching) vs
>distance in a given dielectric medium, metal types ,etc?
>I looked in Henry Ott's  book but did not find an equation.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Gus

List archives are viewable at: