[SI-LIST] Re: a problem about PLL bypass

  • From: Ed Miguel <emiguel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:47:52 -0500

BH

In a nutshell that is it.    If you look closer at datasheets of the caps=20
in question you will see that typically the smaller cap has a much higher=20
series resonance than the larger cap.   The series resonance tells you the=
=20
frequency where a cap is no longer a cap but instead has gone=20
inductive.  You want the series resonance as far from your frequency of=20
operation as you can practically get (at least 2 or 3 X)  By putting both a=
=20
large and a small cap for decoupling you cover the high and low frequency=20
ranges.  Make sure the small cap is as close to the chip that you wish to=20
decouple since the trace inductance will also contribute to lower the=20
series resonance.   The larger cap is not as sensitive.

EM

List archives are viewable at: