[SI-LIST] Re: What is the acceptable minimum pre-pregthickness for volume manufacturing?

  • From: B Simonovich <b_simono1@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 11:19:14 -0700 (PDT)

The Sanmena-SCI licencing for burried capacitance is for ZBC-2000(TM)
laminates. This laminate is a specially constructed copper cladded FR4 core
with a single ply of 106 or 6060 style pre-preg having a dielectric thickness
of 0.002 inches (+/- 0.0005 inches) after cross-sectioning. The drum side
(smooth side) of the copper foil contacts the prepreg while the rough matte
surface is exposed. Depending on the actual prepreg used, the distributed
capacitance is approx 500pf to 550pf/sq inch. It is treated like any other core
within a PCB stackup and is compatible with the normal PCB fabrication process.
Using ZBC200(TM) material allows you to pass Bell Core GR-78-CORE with
exception clause. Specifying dielectric less than 0.004" without using
ZBC200(TM) laminate or equivalent means you need to do the work to have the
exemption if it matters to you.

Regards,

Bert Simonovich