[SI-LIST] Re: VIA L and C values.

  • From: "Dima Smolyansky" <dima@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <KKeskinen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 09:09:43 -0800

Hello, Kai:

I have done some measurements of the via using TDR, but one via is totally
different from another. If the opening in the ground plane around via is
larger, the via will be mostly inductive. If the opening is smaller, the via
will be mostly capacitive. I have measured via inductance anywhere between
400pH to 2nH and via capacitance anywhere in the 200fF to 1.5 pF range. It
is the old "is it capacitive or inductive" dilemma.

One thing about the Dave Dascher's paper you mentioned - one has to
carefully differentiate between "excess capacitance/inductance" and a "full"
capacitance or inductance. Excess inductance is more of an RF/microwave
term, meaning "if you decrease your inductance by that amount your T-line
will be matched." The excess inductance / capacitance value will vary
depending on the impedance of your T-line. For signal integrity, we mostly
use full capacitance, which is the value that can be used in SPICE/IBIS to
predict the effects of the via in the circuit simulation. We discuss
techniques for measuring full inductance and capacitance in our appnote
dealing with characterization of packages - the same techniques are
applicable for via and connector characterization.

Thanks,

Dima Smolyansky
TDA Systems, Inc.
11140 SW Barbur Blvd., Suite 100