[SI-LIST] Re: Transmission line match

  • From: "Prakash Chauhan" <pchauhan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 20:34:50 -0500

Doug,
        I find your observation about time constants interesting in a couple of
aspects:

1.  If you see the time constant of one segment of the lumped network, it
can be seen to be (LC)^1/2, which is the inverse of the wave propagation
speed.

2.  It also helps me visualize the return current ( that we keep talking
about in this forum) and how discontinuities in the transmission or return
path would impact signal quality.

        Since circuit designers work more with circuit elements and do not
indulge
frequently in solving electromagnetic wave problems, this technique might
help bring a better qualitative understanding.

--Prakash.