[SI-LIST] Re: Transmission line match

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <JK100005@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>,<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 07:10:37 -0800

seconded...

Jeff Loyer

-----Original Message-----
From: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Knighten, Jim L
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 4:39 PM
To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx; si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Transmission line match

Doug,

With all respect, I think you are on the wrong track.  Instead of =
thinking
in terms of time constants, think about Kirchoff's voltage and current =
laws
at the boundary between the transmission line and the termination.  The
concept of transmission lines means that they are long enough so that =
you
have to think in terms of traveling waves.  At the boundary, the voltage
across the two conductors of the transmission line and the voltage =
across
the load must be the same.  Also, at the boundary, the currents must be =
the
same.  If the impedances are different, the current in the load must be
different from the current in the transmission line.  The only way this =
can
be is if there is third current (reflected current) to satisfy =
Kirchoff's
current law.  This is written in a simplistic way, but I think you will =
find
that this is the way to think about mismatch behavior in a qualitative
manner.

Regards,

Jim

James L. Knighten, Ph.D.