[SI-LIST] TLM: Laplace and discrete difference equations

  • From: "Richard Georgerian" <richardg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 12:05:23 -0600

Greetings All,
I have been reading some books on transmission line modeling and one of the
things
that interest me was the Laplace equation. The material explains Laplace using
the
discrete difference equations, creating the boundary conditions and the
incremental
steps. The area that I don't fully understand is how to determine the size of
the
incremental step size and how large the area of interest should be when
calculating
an impedance for a stripline for example. Since this is an iterative process to
calculate the voltages and charges, the larger the area and smaller the step
sizes
will increase the time to convergence. So with difference step sizes or
different
boundary dimensions that gives different results (to within a tolerance), how
do I
determine those step sizes or boundary dimensions?

Many thanks in advance.

> Richard
EMC2007 Arrangements
> 2007 PSES Symposium Chair
> 2007 PSES Web site: http://www.ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/symposium/
> 2007 PSES Symposium date: 22-23 October 2007
> =====
> Richard Georgerian
> Compliance Engineer
> NewsFlex Ltd.
> "...turning the world one page at a time..."
> Web site: http://newsflex.net
> email: richardg@xxxxxxxx
> =====

-- Type: application/ms-tnef