[SI-LIST] Switching point

  • From: super cop <super_uvais@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:15:54 +0100 (BST)

Hi Experts,

I am trying to model an inverter switching to 2.5v of
input , for 100u Ids .
I am convinced about the operating point information
for Nch mos which gives an exact value and the region
of operation.
However,  iam not able to provide convincing evidence
for self about the region of operation of Pch mos
which according to the theory should also be in
saturation region, but shows linear region .
***** Netlist **
.OP 0N 5N 10N 15N 20N
M1 OUT IN VDD VDD PCH L=0.18U  W=1.2872u
M2 OUT IN 0 0 NCH     L=0.18U W=536.3023e-9
.MODEL PCH PMOS LEVEL=1
+ Cox=3.453e-4
+ KP = 8.632e-06
+ GAMMA= 0.5276
+ PHI  = 0.576
+ DELVTO=0.0
+ LAMBDA=0.0
+ VTO=-0.7
.MODEL NCH NMOS LEVEL=1
+ Cox=3.453e-4
+ KP = 2.0718e-05
+ GAMMA= 0.5276
+ PHI  = 0.576
+ DELVTO=0.0
+ LAMBDA=0.0
+ VTO=0.7
.PARAM VDD =5
VDD VDD 0 VDD
VIN IN 0 PWL 0 0  10N 0 20N VDD
 ***** operating point status is all   simulation time
is  15.0000n
    node    =voltage      node    =voltage      node
 =voltage
 +0:in      =   2.5000  0:out     =   3.2539  0:vdd
 =   5.0000
 **** mosfets
 subckt
 element  0:m1       0:m2
 model    0:pch      0:nch
 region       Linear   Saturati
  id       -99.9080u  100.0000u
  ibs        0.         0.
  ibd       17.4540f  -32.5460f
  vgs       -2.5000     2.5000
  vds       -1.7461     3.2539
  vbs        0.         0.
  vth     -700.0000m  700.0000m
  vdsat     -1.7454     1.8000
  beta      61.7284u   61.7284u
  gam eff  527.6000m  527.6000m
  gm       107.7405u  111.1111u
  gds        3.3706u    0.
  gmb       37.4492u   38.6208u
  cdtot      3.0944a  1.446e-19
  cgtot     56.6117a   22.4615a
  cstot     53.2905a   22.2223a
  cbtot    2.268e-19  9.448e-20
  cgs       53.2905a   22.2223a
  cgd        3.0944a  1.446e-19

I had equated  Width of Nch mos as: Ids = [BetaN*(
Vg-Vs-Vthn)*( Vg-Vs-Vthn)]/2  which is the exact
region of opearion as in the operation region
information.
and width of Pch mos as [BetaN*( Vg-Vs-Vthn)*(
Vg-Vs-Vthn)]/2 = [BetaP*( VDD-Vs -Vthp)*( VDD-Vs
-Vthp)] /2  . However, in this it should have been
acting in Sat region, but operating point information
shows that it is acting in Linear region.

There is a difference of 0.738U current . Also vdsat
should have been -1.8v (Pmos ) ,differece of 0.0546v
is making it to act in Linear region instead of Sat.
How to make Pmos to act in Sat region. or why is
acting in linear region  rather than sat region  as
the theory equation states to get 100u in both, the
Ids equation should be quated.

Am i making mistake in understanding ,

Can you pls help me understand this basic doubt .

Thanks & Regards.

List archives are viewable at: