[SI-LIST] Re: Surface mount SMB

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Si-List" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 07:31:37 -0800

I've had some very good luck with surface mount SMAs, getting a quiet =
launch.  It took a bit of ingenuity to make the transition from the =
connector to surface traces clean, but it didn't require sophisticated =
3-D modeling - just intelligent thought.  Most notably, the ground plane =
was voided under the center conductor pad so that the pad didn't =
represent a huge capacitance.

I assume the same principles apply to SMB's.

Of course, if you then have to transition to an inner layer, there will =
be a further discontinuity caused by the via.  A through-hole device =
would only have the single discontinuity getting to an inner layer.

Jeff Loyer