[SI-LIST] Splitting this power plane.

  • From: Ivor Bowden <ivor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:46:21 -0800

Hi SI Gurus,

I am working on a 10 layer board, stackup is:

1 component/signal
2 ground
3 signal
4 power
5 signal
6 signal
7 power
8 signal
9 power
10 component/signal

The technology is mixed, mostly 1 to 3 V logic levels plus some LVDS and
a little analog.

The power layers are all fairly well bypassed, across the board.

There are also a number of local power planes embedded in the signal planes.

The issue is, one local power net, with relatively heavy supply
requirements, is currently implemented with 3 plane areas on 3 separate
signal layers, stitched together with vias. I am thinking it would be
better to split the power plane on layer 9 to give this supply its own
dedicated plane area, as layer 9 does not deliver in that area. The
concern is signals crossing the plane split, but since there are no
signals on layer 10 in that area, and layer 7 is a well bypassed power
plane, it shouldn't hurt to split layer 9?

I know each design is unique and requires its own proper study, but if
anyone would share their general impressions of this scenario, I would
appreciate it!

Thanks,

Ivor Bowden

List FAQ wiki page is located at: