[SI-LIST] Re: Split Ground Planes

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rakesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:44:30 -0700

Hi Rakesh,

While it is possible for splits to work in a case such as this, one
should not split planes or implement a feature just because is is a
rule of thumb or "design rule." I have seen very real problems caused
by splits under a chip  [like chip latch-up in response to noise], but
in other cases it may be necessary.

For the latch-up example, imagine the I/O of the chip referenced to
different grounds that have a common point some distance away on the
board. Noise on the board can generate significant voltage in the loop
between the sides of the chip.....bingo, latchup!

There are too many variables in a board design to make a one rule fits
all.  One must test design assumptions regularly to make sure they
still apply.

All signals form a loop, source to load and back again. Its the "back
again" that tents to cause the problems. In this case, if the
returning current is forced to go around a cut in a ground/power plane
a loop is formed and there will likely be all sorts of problems, some
of which may only become known after the design hits the field.

I have found that one is much closer to the final design to start from
solid ground and split only when it is proven necessary. When problems
arise, they are often from low frequency signals causing drop across
resistance (hum bars if video). But if a split is made to address such
a problem, care must be taken on the high frequency side.

Some chips have separate analog digital ground pins. When this is
done, it may be (depending on the case, not a general rule) the chip
designer is trying to avoid common impedance coupling through the
parasitics of the package (usually lead inductance). If this is the
case, a solid ground is probably best.

But, you as a designer should know why a design is done a particular
way. If you are going to put a split in a ground plane, you should
understand where the currents are flowing and exactly what you are
trying to accomplish. Following a general rule is not a substitute for
  being diligent in a design.

Often, I see posts to this list asking for advice, and usually there
is a lot of good advice given. Keep in mind though, there are many
many variables in a design that a simple question/description does not
convey to the group so the advice may or may not apply. One must still
thoroughly understand the design to know when given advice is
applicable. There is no "free lunch" here. Engineering is work, as
pleasurable as it is for most of us.

For your question about a split under an ADC chip there are many
points you are leaving out:

- how long is the split?
- how are you getting paths from one side to another (if applicable)
- is the split causing ground currents to form a loop?
- have you tried a solid ground?
- what is the chip designer trying to accomplish (package parasitics
or concern at the board level)

One thing to keep in mind: at high frequencies (tens to hundreds of
MHz and higher), a few pF here and a few nH there couple everything
together anyway and you may not be accomplishing what you think with a
split.

Whew! I hope I have not caused more confusion instead of less, got
sort of carried away.

Doug

rakesh wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> While appreciating what Guru Doug has mentioned,
>
> I have a doubt.  Would the Split in the Analog and Digital ground below a
> ADC qualify as a split plane
>
> Best Regards
>
> Rakesh

     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: