[SI-LIST] So you want to be a consultant

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emc-pstc <emc-pstc@xxxxxxxx>, SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 18:30:23 -0800

Hi All,

A lot of us have considered becoming an independent consultant.
Sometimes the decision is forced on us by our employer!

I thought I could shed some light on some of the considerations that
go into this very personal decision. So along these lines, I have just
posted my third audio podcast (internet audio broadcast). The podcast
discusses some of the factors that should go into the decision on
whether to become an independent consultant in this field.

My podcast page can be seen by clicking on the picture of the
microphone on my site ( http://emcesd.com ). The direct link is:

http://emcesd-p.com/podcast

but I may move the podcast files if I get to the point where I need
more bandwidth. The microphone link on my site will always point to
the right location.

The latest podcast is 3 megabytes and about 13 minutes in length, but
even if you are on a dial-up connection you can get the file. Just
right click and select "save as" and have a cup of coffee or tea. If
the connection drops, you will still be able to play the mp3 fragment
that did make it to your computer.

You are welcome to pass around any of my original, unaltered podcast
mp3 files to friends, file sharing networks, even company internal
servers. (I suspect the latest podcast on consulting will not make it
on to many company servers though).

There will be many more podcasts coming. Most any computer will play them.

Doug
     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: