[SI-LIST] Re: si-list Digest V6 #4

  • From: Sanchayan Sinha <sanchayan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:44:12 +0530

Yes, it's only a case of concern when we need to maintain data integrity on
busses ( which are on the control path) because of wrong control command may
be latched by the corresponding logic , thus leading the state to be
different. A signle bit being metastable is motly not a cause of conern.
Metastability resolution times are quite faster( an order of difference
here) than clock cycles ( with all this noise in the world),  it will only
lead to some delta power consumption increase.
Latency not being a concern for asynch transfers  is not true across all
possible scenarios, hence clever circuit techniques are used to increase
MTBF of a synchronizer , if the possiblity of increasing number of stages
hits performance.
Thanks,
Sanchayan

On 1/7/06, Daniel Jones <djones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:
>
> si-list Digest  Thu, 05 Jan 2006        Volume: 06  Issue: 004
>

> >Msg: #2 in digest
> >Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:45:14 +0530
> >From: Somesh Dhavala <dhavala.somesh@xxxxxxxxx>
> >Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: METASTABILITY
> >
> >Hi  Mike,
> >Thank you for your Reply.
> >
> >How to reduce the metastability by connecting two or more flip flops in
> >chain when first flip flop latching wrong data?
> >

> I haven't seen anyone reply to this, so I will take a shot at it.
> Metastability can occur
> when the minimum setup/hold time requirement for a latch is violated.
> The most
> typical case for this is when data is being transferred between two
> different time
> domains i.e. where the source clock and receive clock are not
> synchronized.
> Metastability due to improper design is an entirely different problem.
>
> Anyway, when transferring data between time domains, there is no real
> concept of
> right data or wrong data at the first receiving latch; there is only
> delay. Take the case
> when there is no change in the data, then the  latched data is always
> correct.
> When a transistion in the data occurs, depending upon the setup/hold time,
> the latch will store and output the old data or the new data.
> Occasionally, the output
> will be indeterminate for a period of time and then settle into one of
> the two states.
> If the data output of the latch is 'wrong,' then the 'true' data is
> delayed by one clock
> cycle. This can be bad when data is being sent in parallel.

> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.org
>
> List archives are viewable at: