[SI-LIST] Re: Shive wave machine video

  • From: "Smith, Larry" <larrys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "colin_warwick@xxxxxxxxxxx" <colin_warwick@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:42:52 +0000

Very nice video!  It pulls together a lot of disciplines.
If we think of the current waveform (rather than voltage) the open circuit and
closed circuit reflections fit with the lecture.  The forcing function would be
current.  It comes back right side up (current doubles) at short circuit and
upside down for an open circuit (opposite polarity, current cancelation).

I think we could draw another analogy where the forcing function is voltage and
the voltage doubles at the far end of an open line.  This is more in line with
our EE intuition.

Forcing a current works better with his impedance (not admittance) discussion
later in the lecture.

Regards,
Larry Smith