[SI-LIST] Re: S, ABCD and T parameters

  • From: Ege Engin <engin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: doh@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:29:49 +0100

Hi Ray and Dan Oh,

In the "Computer-Aided Design of Microwave Circuits" book of K. C.
Gupta, also the T-parameters are recommended. As Dan Oh stated, the
T-parameters give a relation between waves just as the S-parameters. An
important advantage is, that you dont have to deal with the reference
impedances during the conversion procedure, which would be the case for
a conversion to and from ABCD parameters.

Regards,
Ege

"Kyung Suk (Dan) Oh" schrieb:

> Hi Ray,
>
> Personally I prefer T matrix as it can be always defined
> as S-parameters since it deals with waves (this is why the
> conversion formula is also simple).
> On the other hand, ABCD deals with voltage itself and it
> can be undefined or numerically ill-conditioned for
> certain structures just like Z and Y matrices for nearly
> short or open circuits.
>  From my experience, ABCD and T parameters (matrices) are often
> used for de-embedding purpose and I strongly suggest using
> T-parameter.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Dan Oh
>
> Ray Anderson wrote:
> >
> > A question for the parameter gurus out there:
> >

> > When converting s-parameters to either ABCD (chain) matrix
> > form or T (transfer scattering) matrix form to evaluate the
> > the response of a cascaded network is there any net advantage
> > to using the either ABCD or T matrices as opposed to the other ?
> >
> > It seems that the conversion to/from T parameters may be a bit
> > easier computationally compared to the ABCD conversion, but when
> > using Matlab to do the number crunching the complexity argument
> > is a non-issue.
> >
> > -Ray Anderson
> > Sun Microsystems

> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list