[SI-LIST] Re: Reset problem with power supply

  • From: Jerry Martinson <jerry_martinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, olaney@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 18:00:36 -0800 (PST)

There was a brief time several years ago where there was electroytic chemical
providers that had a mistake in their recipe that caused excessove hydrogen gas
production when they were used.  Multiple cap component vendors used these
suppliers.  This resulted in a lot of failures of these caps industry-wide
regardless of de-rating.  I have seen this happen myself in circuits that were
very conservatively designed.

This "cap plague" of the early part of the decade was somewhat of a fluke but
gave electrolytic caps (and some of the prodcuts using them such as compact
flourescents) a worse reputation than they probably deserved.