[SI-LIST] Re: Reflection on Lattice and Bergeron Diagrams

  • From: "abe riazi" <ariazi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'lmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:23:40 -0700

Larry Miller Wrote:

Johnson and Graham also do this presentation in their book. (At least the
linear one)

What kind of comments were you looking for?

I think that by the time you introduce the complexity of V-I curves and
nonlinearity you really are into a situation where a computer is warranted
to do the tedious math.

You can use the equations, or SPICE does it well.

I use IBIS V-T curves in a SPICE PWL (piece-wise linear) element. It is easy
to cut & paste the IBIS tables into a spreadsheet and have a look at them,
them pick appropriate ranges and paste into the SPICE element. Similarly, I
use the IBIS V-I curves to get a least squares fit to the driver and load
impedances and plug those into SPICE models.

The results from this hybrid approach have been extremely satisfactory. I
did a 66-MHz PCI bus this way and the SPICE plots differed so little from
the scope waveforms on the real system that Management thought I had
possibly used "dry lab" techniques.

Larry Miller

Hi Larry:

It is true that the lattice diagram has been discussed in numerous publications
including books by Johnson and Graham, Brain Young and
William R. Blood.

I mentioned the book by S.H. Hall et al., because (in may opinion) the authors
cover this topic in greater depth and in particular they explain why it is
essential
 to master these methods and that it is insufficient to be able to analyze
waveforms
only by way of simulation. They also describe what is the limit of complexity
beyond which the use of lattice or Bergeron diagrams are impractical and thereby
simulation is the preferred choice.

Thanks.

Abe Riazi
ServerWorks