[SI-LIST] Re: R L & C extraction

  • From: "Ingraham, Andrew" <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:16:48 -0400

In most transmission lines, L decreases slightly with increasing frequency.
This happens at a moderately low frequency, in the vicinity of kilohertz to
a megahertz; and I believe the inductance change is on the order of ten
percent or so.  Most field solvers and formulas give you the high frequency
inductance, above the region where it changes.

Capacitance should be pretty constant up to frequencies where the dielectric
constant changes; this is highly dependent on the insulating materials used.

If you need to make circuit transformations to change from one equivalent
circuit to another, then you will end up with values for R, L, and C that
can vary strongly with frequency.  That might also happen if you are dealing
with a 3-dimensional structure that gets simplified into 2-D transmission
line parameters or a simple L/R/C lumped "equivalent" circuit.

Regards,
Andy

> I have found something i.e.
>
> 1) R : Skin effect will be more at higher frequencies and resistance of a
net will be more
>          at higher frequency (when skin effect is pre dominant)
>
> 2) L: How is L related with frequency ?
>
> 3) C: How is C related with frequency?
>
> Thanks in Advance...
>
> Regards