[SI-LIST] Re: Question related to HFSS: Zpi, Zpv, Zvi difference

  • From: Bi Han <mike_bihan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jizheng@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:01:03 +0800 (CST)

Hi, Ji:
        I do not think that I am fully understood.
        Why not let me explain my point for you?
        Since you are also very familiar with our professor Lee, you can
imagine that it was so hard for us to obtain legal access to those expansive
EDA tool. The formal CADENCE software, donated by candece company or bought by
our university, will not be accessed by everyone in campus.(department interest
?)
        Another important point is that we make no bonus from all our
activities.(That might be the reason that our lab did not develop much after
you left.)
        These two reasons constitute the inpreventable choice to use some
illegal copy of commercial tool. Actually, these days a lot of questions about
HFSS were published on the website by me. Myself is also depressed by this kind
of situation.
       According to my experience, among all EDA I have ever touched, ansoft's
manual is the hardest to make sense. Also, examples are far less than enough,
(actually there are no complete example).  So, no choice, I have to ask some
people else.
       Furthermore, no question can be answered by local guies, then I had to
turn to SI-list for help. (Any other useful web source will also be very
helpful if anyone can tell me.)  Extremely limited opportunity to fabrcate our
chip design plan also make HFSS necissary for me.
       After all, I do not think my questions are beyond any value. The
mismatch between the results from hfss and Maxwell-2D is well worth discussion.
       Any way, I am tired of doing RF, MW research in our lab. Actually, we do
not have the material condition indeed. Some numerial algo will be more
suitable research direction.
       After this week end, I will join Intel to design flash memory chip and
say goodbye to SI research temporarily.  I have had enough !!!
Thanks for your advice!
B.H.

 jizheng@xxxxxxxxxxx wrotHi,

I really think you should NOT post this email to the SI-LIST community. Your
understanding of the benefit of using "illegal version" software is partial and
incorrect. The protection of the intellectual property is to the best interest
of the entire community of technology and it is the ethic of all the engineers.

From your messages posted on SI-LIST, you are a very active graduate student
involved in the research. However, I would like to suggest that you take more
time thinking before posting on the List and please do show respect for the SI-
LIST community. I would believe 100% of the subscribers of this List would not
agree on your opinion over the "illegal software" because it is simply wrong. I
could understand where your idea comes from since I was also educated in
Chinese university. Just think about this, if people use "illegal version" in
China, how could China conceive its own EDA company or software company in
general ?

Well, that being said, please keep up the good work ethusiasm while at the same
time, do a little bit research on the intellectual property ......

Ji

Quoting Bi Han :

> I can not agree with you entirely.
>
> First, AE does not provide enough support sometimes.
>
> Seconde, students will have no access to formal support since licenses,
> donated by Company, do not contain Tech Support always and sometime
> those licenses are not legal sometimes.
>
> Third, illegal use of licensed EDA will do good to that company. For
> instance, CADENCE is the most welcomed IC design platform in China till
> now, why? Mentor Graphics also have good tool flow for whole flow chart.
> The reason, which is held by many people here, is that mentor graphics
> does not have enough cracked versions for students to access.
> Contrastly, Cadence and hspice can be found in almost every labs in
> Chinese University. Students will have opportunity to grasp these tools
> and get used to use them before graduation.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bi,Han@Sjtu(Shanghai Jiaotong University),Emlab

> List archives are viewable at:
> //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list