[SI-LIST] Re: Question about package models

  • From: "Zabinski, Patrick J." <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:40:55 -0500

> Hi guys:
> A couple of questions about the use of package models.
>
> 1) Do any of you use device package models when designing high-speed
> boards?

Absolutely.  Depending upon the package, speed, technology,
etc., the package can completely destroy the signal, and
it's best to know/understand this and find work-arounds
*before* the board is built.

> 2) If so, what model is preferred, spice/RLC, S-parameter, other?

Most of the time, we don't have much choice.  IBIS provides
simple lumped LRC, while some RF vendors supply S-parameters.
If I have choice, I prefer a spice model that includes
T-lines for "long" (as defined by the edge rate) traces/leads
and lumped LRC for bond wires, vias, "short" leads, etc.

> 3) If the package is controlled impedance and the device has on-chip
> termination, would you still have a use for the package model?

Again, yes.  In most cases I've seen, if the vendor has
gone through the effort/expense of controlled impedance package
and on-chip termination, you're *likely* safe without
simulation, but it's still worth the effort verification
through simulation.