[SI-LIST] Re: Power Supply Distribution/Filtering/Decouplin g Guide]

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vrbanacm@xxxxxxxxxx, swldstn@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 00:11:25 -0800

Michael,

Thanks.  I absolutely agree that we need to approach this in a way that is
practical and effective for both the chip vendors and their customers.

I don't look at this as a digital or analog problem.  I view it as a
frequency response problem.  In my funny way of thinking, what I think we
need is analogous to a reference impedance.

I view the reference constructions as a way of providing just that.   They
are nothing more than reference impedances, where the specific impedance to
structures inside a given component is defined by a series of physical
structures that are the combination of the reference constructions, and the
interconnect that is component specific.    It is if you will an extension
of the IBIS turned somewhat inside-out.

I admit that by limiting the reference structures to a hopefully small set,
we impose burden on chip suppliers that they may not initially be very
happy with.  Ie:

1. Effort to constrain their designs to function properly with at least one
of the reference constructions, and
2. Exposure to criticism for chips that impose expensive and/or very
difficult system requirements.

Being on the system side, and powerless to do anything more than apply
band-aids to hemorrhaging chips, my conviction is that many chip vendors
have long been remiss in their responsibilities.  It is agony to either
work in the dark, and/or spin boards to fix problems that proper analysis
could easily have avoided if only we had decent data in the first place.

In exchange for the pain this imposes on chip vendors, the industry should see

1. Higher first time system yields.
2. Accelerated design cycles, ( results from 1. )
3. Lower system costs, PWB and PDS overdesign reduction.
4. Lower development costs by elimination of prototype / test / reprototype.
5. Better visibility on both sides to true system cost.

We all know the mantra of profits translating directly from time to
market.  All of the above accelerates time to market, profits to system
vendors, which means more profit opportunity to the chip houses.  Let's get
this ugly source of errors that forces expensive and time-consuming tooling
spins out of our development cycle.

Once we can agree on reference constructions to work from, we can apply an
arbitrary amount of analysis on either side of the fence.  This makes a
whole lot more sense to me than chip by chip reference designs that meet
specific needs of a device vendor to demonstrate their chip, but usually
fail to adequately parameterize what the chip really needs from the PWB / PDS.

The only difference between a digital and analog circuit at that point are
the coefficients in an impedance profile versus frequency, and current
profile versus time.

Regards,

Steve.

List technical documents are available at: