[SI-LIST] Re: Proadlizer - new decap?

  • From: "Bart Bouma" <bart.bouma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:10:07 +0100

Steve,
Yes, I fully agree with this, but in the meantime I received some info
that says that the impedance characteristic of this proadlizer is flat
upto 1GHz (and I assume this is at milli-ohm level ;-) ).
It's a four terminal device, and package seems to be a "wafer" type, with
multiple flat leads protruding.

Until now no plot and picture found.

The claimed ESL-value by NEC-Tokin is indeed 1pH, not 1nH as I assumed in
a note posted yesterday.
But still , after reading this new information, a level that I think is
unpossible to reach, certainly taking in account the mounted inductance.

regards, Bart

steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>

13-01-04 19:39
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please respond to weirsp

        To:     bart.bouma@xxxxxxxxx
gstokes@xxxxxxxxx
        cc:     si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Subject:        [SI-LIST] Re: Proadlizer - new decap?
    Category:

Bart,

Even if NEC claims 1pH, once the device is mounted, the mounted value will

jump by two orders of magnitude.

Steve.
At 11:30 AM 1/13/2004 +0100, Bart Bouma wrote:
>Hi Geoff,
>my guess is it's not 1pH. but 1nH.
>Obtaining 1pH seems impossible to me, even with e.g. IDC- and X2Y-caps,
>which incorporate magnetic flux cancelation, one doesn't obtain such low
>values.
>These typically have ESL-values of 50 upto 100pH.
>
>I assume (....)  this Proadlizer is a new development low-esr polymer
>capacitor (like Nec-Tokin's tantalum Neocapacitor with conductive polymer
>cathode).
>It probably is in a compact, having a low profile, package offering lower
>ESL-values than standard tantalum-caps do.
>Standard Tantalums offer typical ESL values of 2.0 - 2.5 nH (case size D)
>In this context 1nH can be considered a low ESL-value, certainly when
>offering a capacitance of 200uF.
>
>regards, Bart
>www.yageo.com

>I found this and only this, after searching a while for descriptive info:
>
>http://www.nec-tokin.com/english/top/news.cgi?mode=body&id=14
>
>For once, Google did not help!
>
>My guess is it's not really a conventional 2-terminal capacitor.  By
>analogy
>with 4-terminal resistors with Kelvin connections, there are devices
which
>can give you very low ESL (1pH claimed in this case).  But they are
really
>filters with 3 or more terminals.  The RF community has long used
>discoidal
>feed-thro capacitors for GHz decoupling, which are best seen as 3
terminal
>devices.  The ground connection around the edge of the disc is possibly
>the
>lowest common impedance ever (that is the amplitude of Z12 for network
>enthusiasts).  But no such device can produce such a low driving-point
>impedance at a single port (Z11) without impractical dimensions.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at:

The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. If you are
not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance of the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. YAGEO Corporation is
neither liable for the proper nor the complete transmission of the information
contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: