[SI-LIST] Re: PECL to SSTL2 clock driver

  • From: "D. C. Sessions" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:57:36 -0700

On Tuesday 28 August 2001 14:40, ruston, matt wrote:

>  Does anyone know of an SSTL2 clock driver that accepts PECL inputs (without
> having to shift the differential clk input levels)? I'm looking at something
> like the TI CDCV850. Does anyone have any experience with this chip? Thanks
> for the help...

I don't see the problem with shifting.  PECL (at least the 3.3v version)
has an output common mode voltage of 1.98 v.  SSTL-2 has an input
common mode of 1.25 v.  Since you have to terminate anyway, why
not just terminate the SSTL-2 inputs to Vtt and connect the PECL
outputs through blocking caps?

Alternately, you can just divide down with Thevenin networks.
Not perfect, but for two lines no big deal and 500 mV is plenty
for SSTL-2 inputs.

--
| The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. |
| Because the slow, feeble old codgers like me cheat.                |