[SI-LIST] Re: Measuring Crosstalk

  • From: "Crain, Dan S" <dan.s.crain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aaron.helleman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:31:05 -0700

Hi Aaron,

I check crosstalk in the lab using the following approach:

- Review board layout to determine which line (or pair) has the most =
physically adjacent line parallelism.

- Write test code that simultaneously holds the identified victim line =
static while switching significantly contributing physiacally adjacent =
lines.  Be sure to have code that forces both even and odd mode coupling =
cases.  Try to also  keep non-coupling contributor lines and other =
interfaces static so that you are not measuring SSO effects plus =
crosstalk.

- Run the code and measure the coupled energy on your victim line.

Rgds,

Dan
----

Aaron Helleman wrote:
> What's the standard way to measure crosstalk in the lab?  We have
> experimentally determined that there is crosstalk on our PCB due
> to traces being too close together for an xDSL system on the analog
> side.   We want to characterize the amount of crosstalk between two
> 'bad' ports vs. two 'good' ports
> to determine if our respin will work properly in simulation.
>=20
> The frequency band of interest is between DC and 1100 KHz, which seems
> like it should not be succeptable to crosstalk very much, but we have
> experimentally determined
> that if we re-route the tracks of interest using rework wire we can =
make
> the crosstalk go away.
>=20
> Would a spectrum analyzer and a signal generator be the way to go, or
> perhaps a network analyzer to check the rejection ratio?
>=20
> Could we do this via simulation as well?
>=20
> --
> Aaron
>=20