[SI-LIST] Re: Lout of VRM

  • From: "istvan novak" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sghsu55@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 21:22:15 -0400

Sogo,

If you dont change anything else, only the inductor will be of
ten times lower value, the ripple current through the inductor
will be ten times higher.  If otherwise the 1uH inductor was
properly designed for the application, the ten times higher
ripple current will most probably drive its core to saturation
or at least the losses will increase significantly.  If you see
a 1kHz peak in the impedance profile with 1uH output
inductor, the probable cause is a suboptimal control loop.

regards

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems