[SI-LIST] Re: Loss tangent calculation

  • From: andrew.c.byers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: justin.tabatchnick@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:44:14 -0800

Hello Atif and Justin and SIers,

        Justin's equation below points out the fact that tand is separated
into two terms - one that deals with the conductivity of the material and
one that deals with another lossy dielectric property.

        When I originally saw Atif's email and his question about tand
increasing proportional to frequency, I was a bit surprised. I had always
seen tand for dielectrics as relatively stable with frequency. However, in
silicon you will have a non-zero conductivity of the material (ie free
charge carriers), and there will be this steadily increasing portion of the
tand = sigma/(eps*omega).

        For most classic dielectric materials, ranging from FR4 to SiO2,
sigma is essentially ZERO and you will usually only consider the second term
in the equation below, which has to do with a different dielectric material
loss property. (see Robert Plant's email). This term of tand tends to remain
more constant within frequency ranges of interest (as seen in
measurements). In reality it does begin to increase a bit as frequency
increases, due to changes in permittivity, but that is a different thread. I
believe that the "dielectric loss constant" referred to below has to do with
the energy dissipated (as heat) due to the vibrations/rotations of the
dipoles in the material - the bound charges. Waxing material physics here -
will have to dust off that textbook or look at material charts.

        Back to Atif's narrow band case, it may turn out that the
conductivity term in the tand equation dominates in silicon, especially at
24GHz, and the other term can be ignored. With you calculation of tand=0.25
(gulp), I think this is true. You would have to hunt down equations or
measured data for the second term and see. A relevant point here, though, is
how much of your field is actually located in the silicon? You have your
antenna sitting on another dielectric above the silicon too - the tand here
will most likely be dominated by the second term in the equation (which for
SiO2 is nearly zero).

Great topic though! Hope this helps,

Andy Byers