[SI-LIST] Re: Jitter Tolerance

  • From: "Alfred P. Neves" <al@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ralf.inova@xxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:00:49 -0700

Ralf,

The composite mix of DJ-RJ, as specified, is intended to test a CDR to
insure compliance between platforms, such that a minimum BER is achieved in
that system.   10^-12 Bit Error Ratio is a typical number.

Adding a dramatic amount of PJ, within the loop bandwidth of the CDR PLL,
will result in the PLL losing lock in most cases and does not constitute a
interoperability BER type test.

Accordingly, it isn?t quite clear what your objective is.   Are you trying
to work around the jitter specification in a BER tolerance type test or are
you trying to measure lock range for jitter transfer?

Measuring Jitter tolerance is not very easy to do properly, and in the
course of our consulting activity, we have unfortunately have seen
incorrectly done test methodology of CDR tolerance testing.

Alfred P. Neves      <*)))))><{

Hillsboro Office:
735 SE 16th Ave.
Hillsboro, OR, 97123
(503) 718 7172   Business
(503) 679 2429   Mobile

Main Corporate office:
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark
of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC