[SI-LIST] Re: Integrated vs. discrete magnetics for Ethernet

  • From: "Curt McNamara" <CurtM@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpad@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:50:50 -0600

The main benefit of external is that you get to choose the common mode
choke, and it will have a lot more iron (read attenuation) than the puny
:-) little thing inside the RJ-45. When I worked for a telecom
manufacturer we always used external. However, the small footprint
boards we make here require the integrated jacks, and we have made them
work. As noted below, you need to be extra careful keeping your signal
clean into the transformer ....

                                                Curt

Curt McNamara. P.E.=20
Senior Electrical Engineer=20
Logic Product Development=20
411 Washington Ave. N Suite 101=20
Minneapolis, MN 55401=20
Tel 612-436-5178=20
Fax 612-672-0443=20
curtm@xxxxxxxxxxx=20
www.logicpd.com=20
protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should
copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.