[SI-LIST] Input Clock phase noise and TX eye closurein SERDES

  • From: johndp@xxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:35:44 +0000

I'm trying to relate reference clock phase noise to eye closure in a TX SERDES
application. At this time I'm only interested in this area of the TX
performance, as I'm trying to specify a clocking scheme for a much larger
design. Assuming a second order TX PLL I can come up with an expression that
relates the reference clock phase noise to the transfer characteristic of the
PLL. However I'm stuck with an intergral to work out the RMS jitter of the
reference, the upper limit of which is set by the 3dB point of the PLL, I'm not
sure how to set the lower limit. I've read in a couple of places for example
ref (1), a figure of 10KHz but can find no analytical basis for this figure.

Any pointers much appreciated

ref (1) Random Jitter - What Is Really Going On?
October 22, 2001 - CommsDesign.com

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org