[SI-LIST] Re: IBIS model for CML differential buffers

  • From: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fabrizioz@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 11:24:49 -0800

Fabrizio and Mohammad,

CML buffers up to 3.125 Gbps can and have been modeled in IBIS
effectively.  At DesignCon 2002, Chris Brewster of SiQual presented a
paper on buffer correlation between Hspice and Cadence SpecctraQuest.
 There were no issues with driver output model correlation.  All
correlation issues were concerned with lossy trace model discrepancies
between SpecctraQuest and Hspice.  I believe that these Cadence issues
have now been resolved.  As differential buffers become faster, it is
actually easier to model them in IBIS, since these drivers have to be
operating mostly in the linear region in order to operate at these
extreme speeds and edge rates.  IBIS models are always best and most
faithful when extracted from linear drivers.  Also, since the buffers
are operating differentially, the influence of SSO is minimized.
 Current starvation effects and pre-driver modulation effects are
greatly reduced over their single-ended counterparts.  Any issues in
simulation at these speeds is usually due to improper modeling of
packages, vias, connectors, return-paths, and losses in the system.

(As a side note, my research, simulations and measurements indicate that
via-coupling in the driver BGA breakout region and in the region of the
first connector insertion tend to have the most detremental effect on
these high-speed signals.  These effects are often not modeled at all,
or are modeled inappropriately or incorrectly by Signal Integrity
simulators and extractors and/or engineers performing simualtion and
modeling of differential systems.)

Having said this, it is not "fun" to extract these IBIS models and it
can be quite time consuming to do so.  A more sane approach that I often
use is to create a synthetic behavorial driver in hspice using voltage
sources (or current sources), input waveshaping filters, a VCVS for
output swing adjustment and a resistor to approximate the output
impedance of the device, and then perform an optimization of the circuit
to reproduce the original spice output waveform of the driver.  This
usually takes less time than performing a differential IBIS model
extraction and is incredibly fast in simulation.

In either case, preemphasis is not easily modeled.  It is possible to
use multistage driver models in IBIS to perform pre-emphasis
 simulation.  This works quite well, since pre-emphasis is generally an
increase in the output signal swing on the leading edge of a bit pattern
and can be approximated nicely by a timed multistage pulse.

Several companies have the ability to model these differential devices:
 SiSoft, SiQual, Mentor and Teraspeed.  We can actually extract the
models from measurment, and have done so in the past for some 10 Gbps
devices.  In some cases, the silicon vendor prefers IBIS measurement
based models to Hspice models, because of the increased accuracy of the
measurements.  We have modeled devices with risetimes in the 30 to 50 ps
range.

best regards,

Scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

Fabrizio Zanella wrote:

>Mohammad, I don't believe modeling CML differential buffers in the IBIS
>format can be done yet.  The speeds are extremely fast, 2.5 to 3.125Gbs,
>with sub-100ps risetimes, so the accuracy of transistor models is
>required. Also just about all CML I/O have various levels of transmitter
>pre-emphasis and/or receiver equalization, which is not handled by the
>IBIS spec today.
>My suggestion is to use spice models.
>Regards,
>
>Fabrizio Zanella