[SI-LIST] Re: I have a question related package parasitic extraction

  • From: "Michael Khusid" <mkhusid@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cnepsc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 15:25:36 -0500

Neeraj,

Ansoft Spicelink has two modules. The 2D module, which Jayaprakash =
refers
to, is the one that solves for per-unit parameters calculates loop
inductances.
The 3D modules, which KD refers to, is typically used for 3D problems =
like
wirebonds. The latter module does indeed solve for partial inductances.

KD,=20

If you have very long trace with uniform cross-section, then indeed
capacitance/inductance/resistance are linear with length. That's how
original telegrapher equations were derived.
If there is a discontinuity between two signals, e.g. a trace and =
wirebond,
than mutual interaction (inductance and capacitance) will produce
non-additive results. That is, the properly done addition also needs to
include mutual interaction.

> As for L, there should be and there is difference. Small difference =
also
> expected for C.
Neeraj, you are ignoring the effect of mutual capacitance which is =
non-zero
in this case.

Best regards,
Michael