[SI-LIST] Re: How frequency effects L, C & Z

  • From: Geoff Stokes <gstokes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:21:21 -0000

Rich

You seem to be changing dimensions while you make comparisons.  Better to
keep the structure *fixed* then see what happens.  Please forgive me if I
missed your point.  If you stay physically fixed, L versus freq is s-shaped,
due to internal inductance.  This might help:

http://www.ansoft.com/thewave/Doing_Good_While_Playing.pdf

I think C will vary with freq if the dielectric constant does so, but
otherwise will be constant.

In the interesting paper by Karnezos et al., which you quote, Figure 6 shows
inductance increasing greatly with frequency.  I expect this is the usual
practical result of measuring an inductor, i.e. the physical capacitance
shows the skirt of a parallel resonance.  So you're not looking at pure
inductance.  I don't actually know, but the Zeland software might be just
dividing the imaginary part of Z by f and calling it inductance.  You need a
circuit model extractor to get inductance and capacitance elements alone,
which is not easy.  In the paper, the interest is in showing how the
performance can be improved (inductance reduced) by changing the package
design.

Cheers
Geoff

Zetex Semiconductors - Solutions for an analog world

EID Award Winners for  'Best Use of Technology' 2003 for the
AcoustarTM ZXCW8100 End-to-End Digital Audio Amplifier Controller

http://www.zetex.com

E-MAILS are susceptible to interference. You should not assume that
the contents originated from the sender or the Zetex Group or that they
have been accurately reproduced from their original form.
Zetex accepts no responsibility for information, errors or omissions in
this e-mail nor for its use or misuse nor for any act committed or
omitted in connection with this communication.
If in doubt, please verify the authenticity with the sender.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: