[SI-LIST] Re: Help me

  • From: <stubenner@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 14:56:56 -0500

Virtually all modern ohmmeters use a current source to drive the device
under test (DUT). The current used varies between scales. The voltage
compliance of the meters is not necessarily the same as the battery =
voltage.
Please read the instrument specifications. When measuring semiconductor
junctions with an ohmmeter, the voltage developed (i.e., resistance) =
across
a DUT  will vary with the applied current, therefore, a different =
reading
will be indicated depending on the scale (current source value) used. =
That
is one of my reasons for the disdain of auto-scaling meters. Such
"resistance" measurements are sometimes useful for gross checks (be sure =
understand what you're trying to measure) and for comparing DUT's for
in/out-of-family behavior - just be sure to use the same source current =
each
time.

Stu Benner
stubenner@xxxxxxxx