[SI-LIST] Re: HSPICE Fieldsolver vs FastHenry

  • From: Albert Ruehli <ruehli@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andy1390@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:09:24 -0500

I am not familiar with how FastHenry sets up the PEEC model, but from
looking at your HSpice result, you want the conventional per unit
length TL values by making the structure long enough (25.4mm).   Issues
like
how you choose the ground plane width for the PEEC model and
also how you subdivide the ground plane is important.   Usually, the model
ground plane should not be much wider than the  structure itself, like
a few spacings.   We all know that it is very easy to get the wrong result
in modeling.   So we need some additional details to find out what went
wrong.
Al

Albert Ruehli
ruehli@xxxxxxxxxx
914-945-1592  TL  862-1592, Fax  914-945-4244

"Andy Kuo" <andy1390@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
12/06/2006 05:06 PM
Please respond to
andy1390@xxxxxxxxx

"Jory McKinley" <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
cc
si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
[SI-LIST] Re: HSPICE Fieldsolver vs FastHenry

Hi Jory,
I have compared both the loop inductance and partial inductance and
cannot have the values agree.
Here is the inductance from HSPICE fieldsolver and it is per meter

+ Lo = 3.684847e-07 2.023918e-08
+      2.023918e-08 3.684847e-07
To compare with FastHenry, I multipled the above to 25.4mm as the
length of the conductor is 25.4mm and the results are:
+ Lo = 9.3595114e-9 5.1407517e-10
+      5.1407517e-10 9.3595114e-9

Compare to FastHenry (partial inductance) below, the results are still
very far away.
Row 0: 2.99871e-008 1.61083e-008
Row 1: 1.61083e-008 2.99868e-008

Does anyone know why?

Thanks,
Andy

On 12/6/06, Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Andy,
> Could be that you are looking at partial inductance versus loop
inductance which will not agree.  Can you post the results?
> -Jory
>

> Andy Kuo <andy1390@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I am trying to extract the inductance from both HSPICE fieldsolver and
from
> Fasthenry on a simple 2 parallel conductors with a reference ground
plane.
> However, the extracted data from HSPICE fieldsolver and FastHenry
doesn't
> agree.
>
> I know the value from HSPICE is per meter value, so I have multiplied
the
> value with the correct length to compare. Still, the results do not
> correlate at all.
>
> Does anyone know the difference between the two?
>
> --
> Andy Kuo

> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
> http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ