[SI-LIST] Re: Gen2 PCIe packaging interconnect questions

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DMalladi@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 03:22:44 -0700

Depending on what else is in the package, wire bond s/b doable, but you
better get a hold of some expertise early so that you don't design
yourself into an inescapable corner.  If you are doing a lot of serdes
channels you need to be very concerned about crosstalk.  Planning the
PCB layout, die bond-out and package all need to happen together.

Steve.

Dev Malladi wrote:
> All, I am not an electrical packaging guy and I have a simple question.
> Is a flip chip interconnect required a Gen2 PCIe switch? Why and what is
> the downside of doing a wire bond at Gen 2 speeds.
>

> Thanks
>

> Dev Malladi
>
> Director, Packaging Operations
>
> 870, W. Maude ave