[SI-LIST] Re: GND is perfect conductor?

  • From: "McCoy, Bart O." <McCoy.Bart@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:12:04 -0500

>> We routinely assume perfect conductors for ground in our field solvers.
>> In fact, I don't believe you have an option of doing otherwise for ADS
>> (I've got a request in for information on this, but can't get a reply
>> until next week).

ADS has a whole variety of microstrip models to choose from.
Their "Multilayer" models, rather than being equation based,
use a 2D field solver on arbitrary geometries you specify.
When specifying those geometries, you can just make all metal lines on
various layers to be "signals" and simply put small microstrip "signal"
lines over top of larger "signal" lines.   Tie the larger "signal" lines
to ground and that becomes your microstrip ground.   Tie the other
"signal" lines to your source and load and they are your microstrip.
According to their help file online, skin-effect is accounted for and I know

for sure that signal line conductivity can be specified.

That's the beauty of field solvers-- you don't have to have implicit
grounds--- a ground is just another signal line.   The impedances
will come out as expected when wide, high-conductivity grounds are
used.  Microstrip losses seem to compare favorabily (within 10% or so) to
some
hardware I just evaluated and compared to my multi-layer ADS models.

   - Bart