[SI-LIST] Re: FET Probe

  • From: "Ravinder Ajmani" <ajmani@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:17:20 -0800

Hi James,
I too had observed similar problem, when scoping the DDR Strobe signal with
an HP (now Agilent) FET probe.  However, the problem vanished once I
connected the short ground pin.  You also have to make sure that the probe
is directly connected to the board, and not through a long jumper wire.

Regards, Ravinder
PCB Development and Design Department
IBM Corporation
Email: ajmani@xxxxxxxxxx
Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
.... Mark Twain

                      James_R_Jones@Del

                      l.com                    To:       si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      si-list-bounce@fr        Subject:  [SI-LIST] FET Probe

                      eelists.org

                      10/31/2002 12:15

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      James_R_Jones

Gurus,

Does anyone have a basic schematic for Tektronix FET probe?  I don't need
proprietary details about the probes, but just a basic schematic of what we
see looking into the probe, and relative to scope ground.

The reason that I am asking is that I have a board that will not come up
properly when the positive terminal of the probe is hung off of a DDR
strobe
line.  No ground attachment required.  With the probe disconnected from the
scope at the scope, the problem does not exist.  Anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance,

James R. Jones
ESG Signal Integrity
Dell Computer Corporation