[SI-LIST] Re: Even mode and common mode

  • From: "Knighten, Jim L" <JK100005@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Doug Brooks <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:00:15 -0500

Doug,

This question used to bug me as well.  It all hinges on the fact that the
ground plane (signal return) is not perfectly conducting, but has some
impedance.  Return currents on the non-zero impedance of the return plane
causes EMI mischief.

So, the way this is often described, a single ended transmission line has a
differential-mode current and a common-mode current.  By differential-mode
current, they mean the normal signal current that travels on the PCB trace
and returns to the source on the ground plane in the opposite direction as
the current on the trace.  (The is not the same thing as a differential
transmission line's differential mode, except that both are the intended
signal.)  The return current on the ground plane causes a voltage drop on
the ground plane that can drive current on the ground plane away from the
original source and in the same general direction as the original trace
current - hence, the term common-mode current.  If the ground plane is
extended (bigger than the area under the trace - which it usually is) and a
cable shield is attached to the ground plane, then this common-mode current
can exit the board, and perhaps the chassis, and radiate EMI.  This is a
simplified description, but I think it captures the essence.

Research work on this topic has been done by several people, but some of the
notable work has been done by people at the University of Missouri - Rolla.
A couple of references published IEEE papers on this are seen below.  There
are other papers published, but these will get you started on a better
understanding of the phenomenon.

Hockanson, D.M., et. al., "Investigation of Fundamental EMI Source
Mechanisms Driving Common-Mode Radiation from Printed Circuit Boards with
Attached Cables,"  IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol.
38, No. 4, November 1996, pp. 557-566.

Hockanson, D.M., et. al., "Experimental and numerical investigations of
fundamental radiation mechanisms in PCB designs with attached cables," IEEE
1996 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Santa Clara,
CA, 1996, pp. 305-310.

These papers are copyrighted by the IEEE and I am not an author, so I don't
feel free to send you electronic copies.  The Transactions paper can be
gotten form the IEEE web site if you are a member.  I can direct you to one
of the authors, if you need, who may be able to provide you with a copy.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Jim Knighten, Ph.D.
Teradata, a Division of NCR             http://www.ncr.com