[SI-LIST] Re: Even mode and common mode

  • From: C Deibele <deibele@xxxxxxx>
  • To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 20:17:33 -0500

Why, yes it is possible to have two modes in stripline.  Coax, no.
good question.

stripline has a "parallel plate waveguide" mode, and it has the typical
stripline mode.  Each of these modes are TEM, and are degenerate (from DC to
daylight).  one must be careful with the geometry so that the mode of
operation does not excite the other mode.

-craig

>===== Original Message From doug@xxxxxxxxxx =====
>Thank you all for a very extensive and informative discussion re even and
>odd mode.
>
>I still have one remaining question.  Is it possible to have a "common
>mode" signal in a single transmission line system (such as a stripline
>transmission line)? Or is what we commonly call "Common Mode" actually
>restricted to "even mode" currents in a two (or more) line system?
>
>After all the effort you went to in the previous thread, I hope this
>question is at least framed correctly!!
>
>Doug Brooks

List archives are viewable at: