[SI-LIST] ESD through Ferrite core

  • From: BRanjul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:14:43 +0530

Hi all,
This is regarding the possibility of E S Discharge through ferrite core
How about taking the keyboard wire altogether - including the shield wire
- through a ferrite core, normally at the far end of the cable?
Its very visible in the Lab that after connecting ferrite core in the
cable, EM emission is considerably getting  reduced.

But won't this ferrite core introduce a high inductance path in the shield
wire which may block the quick electrostatic discharging from the
keyboard?
Because, for all the static charge formed within the keyboard, the only
discharge path is through the shield wire to PC, and then to earth when PC
is " earthed ".
But we can see many CE and FCC certified keyboards with ferrite core in
the cable.

So my question is, whether connecting Ferrite core in the cable is
advisable in the ESD aspect ?
if not, what is the compromise between ESD and EMI while placing such a
ferrite core in the cable?

Please advice

Thanks in advance.
Ranjul.B