[SI-LIST] Re: ESD through Ferrite core

  • From: BRanjul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:14:13 +0530

Hi all,
hi Vinu,
Thanks for your letter.

You said right, we have to take care ESD in the keyboard electronics
itself  but ,since normally keyboard is not a stand alone device how will
you discharge all the Static charges?
You expect a dedicated  earth connection to keyboard ? I feel its quite
inconvenient to design such a keyboard, where always we have to look for
an earth point with the keyboard.

Regards,
Ranjul

The keyboard electronics itself should be protected from ESD even when
the keyboard is disconnected from the PC. So, it seems to me that the
keyboard design should not depend on the connection to the PC for ESD
protection.

Thanks,
Vinu

BRanjul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi all,
>This is regarding the possibility of E S Discharge through ferrite core
>How about taking the keyboard wire altogether - including the shield wire

>- through a ferrite core, normally at the far end of the cable?
>Its very visible in the Lab that after connecting ferrite core in the
>cable, EM emission is considerably getting  reduced.
>
>But won't this ferrite core introduce a high inductance path in the
shield
>wire which may block the quick electrostatic discharging from the
>keyboard?
>Because, for all the static charge formed within the keyboard, the only
>discharge path is through the shield wire to PC, and then to earth when
PC
>is " earthed ".
>But we can see many CE and FCC certified keyboards with ferrite core in
>the cable.
>
>So my question is, whether connecting Ferrite core in the cable is
>advisable in the ESD aspect ?
>if not, what is the compromise between ESD and EMI while placing such a
>ferrite core in the cable?
>
>Please advice
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Ranjul.B