[SI-LIST] EM simulation

  • From: "Huiyun Li" <Huiyun.Li@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:04:57 -0000

  Hi, all,

  I used to work on power simulation on digital IC (smartcard chip etc), and
now want to expand to EM radiation analysis. Can you give me some advices on
the EM analysis? For example:

  1. What software(s) are used to do EM simulation? In power simulation, I use
Cadence (or other layout editor) to get GDSII format of a circuit, and then
perform parasitic extraction, and then do back-annotattion on the circuit, to
get updated SPICE or Verilog netlist...  I suppose in EM simulation, the
parasitic extraction should  be different, i.e. should consider (coupling)
inductance. .. am I right? ...

  I know Mentor Graphic has a complete suite tool flow for RF IC design,
including Calibre xRC to do parasitic extraction. Have anyone ever used it?

  2. If we use small coils (tens of um in diameter) near an circuit surface to
measure its EM emission, is the measured EM result nearly proportional to the
current? given the coils act as transformers here. If it is true, can I use
current to represent EM emission? which is quite straightforward to deal with.

  3. I'm trying to start with a small circuit simulation in HSPICE, like a
counter or adder, to observe data-dependency EM radiation. Can I use W element
(lossy transmission line model) to model wires and claim the circuit pattern as
EM radiation?

  Hope my questions do not look too silly.

  Thank you!

  Huiyun

List technical documents are available at:
                http:/www.si-list.org