[SI-LIST] Re: EM simulation

  • From: "Guo Yawei" <ywguo527@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Huiyun.Li@xxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:44:10 +0800

Hi, Li Huiyun,

I think your question is not silly at all. It's a very important issue in
contactless smart card deisgn. Is that right?

To prevent DPA attack, the EM radiation of contactless card should be as
small as possible. If the data dependent EM radiation can be detected, it
is dangerous because someone may analyze the circuit or securit key.

About question 2, are you designing a on-chip antenna?

Though I can not answer your question, I am interested in your question.
Good luck to you.

Yawei Guo
Shanghai MicroScience IC Co., Ltd.
Shanghai, P.R.China
MSN: ywguo527@xxxxxxxxxxx

The poor longs for rich,
the rich longs for heaven,
but the wise longs for peace.

>From: "Huiyun Li" <Huiyun.Li@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [SI-LIST] EM simulation
>Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:04:57 -0000
>
>   Hi, all,
>
>   I used to work on power simulation on digital IC (smartcard chip etc),
and now want to expand to EM radiation analysis. Can you give me some
advices on the EM analysis? For example:

>   1. What software(s) are used to do EM simulation? In power simulation,
I use Cadence (or other layout editor) to get GDSII format of a circuit,
and then perform parasitic extraction, and then do back-annotattion on the
circuit, to get updated SPICE or Verilog netlist...  I suppose in EM
simulation, the parasitic extraction should  be different, i.e. should
consider (coupling) inductance. .. am I right? ...

>   I know Mentor Graphic has a complete suite tool flow for RF IC design,
including Calibre xRC to do parasitic extraction. Have anyone ever used it?

>   2. If we use small coils (tens of um in diameter) near an circuit
surface to measure its EM emission, is the measured EM result nearly
proportional to the current? given the coils act as transformers here. If
it is true, can I use current to represent EM emission? which is quite
straightforward to deal with.

>   3. I'm trying to start with a small circuit simulation in HSPICE, like
a counter or adder, to observe data-dependency EM radiation. Can I use W
element (lossy transmission line model) to model wires and claim the
circuit pattern as EM radiation?

>   Hope my questions do not look too silly.
>
>   Thank you!
>
>   Huiyun

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help: