[SI-LIST] Re: Diff. Bal. to Unbal. Transition

  • From: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:22:54 -0700

Loyer, Jeff wrote:

>   e) differential pairs can be AC-coupled - allowing different DC =
>levels for the transmitter and receiver.

AC coupling should work for single-ended signals as well. Why would this
apply only to differential signals?

>And finally, I'm not sure how a balun is applied in this situation.  A =
>single balun would transition the differential pair to a single =
>single-ended signal (say that 3 times quickly!), and then another one of =
>the far end would convert that back to a differential pair?  That may be =
>done, but I haven't heard of it in PCB applications.  But, I wouldn't be =
>surprised to find out it's done for applications I'm not familiar with.

Theoretically, a couple of baluns can be used to interface the loosely
coupled and tightly coupled sections. In practice however, the balun
loss and physically connecting the balun to the traces without
introducing mode conversions, would pose a bigger challenge than the
original problem.

Thanks,
Vinu

List archives are viewable at: