[SI-LIST] Diff. Bal. to Unbal. Transition

  • From: "Bradley S Henson" <bhenson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:52:58 -0700

For years I've encountered systems with balanced differential signals that
transition to 2 single ended lines in a PWB. For example, an RS422 signal
on a 100 ohm diff. pair wire that connects to a PWB that then routes it as
a loosely-coupled pair of 50 ohm striplines. This seems to work fine for
these slower edge rate systems.

I'm starting to see attempts to do the same thing with sub ns edge rate
signals in the 100s of MHz and GHz range. This bothers me seeing a
transition between the 2 modes (probably poor term to select) without
seeing a transformer or other balun-like device. Should I be concerned? If
this is a problem, how do you simulate it (tools)?

Thanks,
Brad Henson,Raytheon

List archives are viewable at: