[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling of digital power i PCB's, how do we avoid pole peaks in the impedance, how far up in frequency do we need low impedance

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: write2larsj@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:31:05 -0700

Lars, Peter, today you need to collect papers. In a few months Istvan
will have a couple of books out on power delivery that will hopefully
reduce the need to hunt for tidbits here and there. Istvan also has many
excellent papers on his web site. He's got a lot of the papers by people
once of SUN as well as himself, like Larry Smith and Ray Anderson. The
X2Y web site www.x2y.com has a number of decoupling / bypass papers, as
does the Teraspeed site, www.teraspeed.com from yours truly. There is
also useful information in Lee's first book, "Right the First Time". Lee
self publishes so you have to go to his web site for that
www.speedingedge.com.

Simulators generate hallucinations that are sometimes useful and
sometimes useless. It mostly goes back to garbage in / garbage out. But
with good source data, and an understanding of what a given simulator
assumes and how it goes about its evaluation you can get useful results
from those packages. To do so, the most important information you need
to engineer a reliable power system by design is often the most
difficult to obtain: detailed information about the: package parasitics,
internal storage, real current profile, and actual voltage requirements
of the IC's that you intend to use. We can build a power system that
looks like a dead AC short on the PCB and actually end up worse off at
the die than with a higher impedance power system. I cannot emphasize
enough the importance of either obtaining the IC information from your
vendor, or deriving it through measurements. [SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT!]
This is something that we do in Teraspeed's Portland labs. For FPGA's
Samtec and Teraspeed have developed an interposer product that
essentially shrink wraps the power system for those IC's, so you don't
have to chase that rabbit down the hole.

When it comes to implementing the power system resonances between
different MLCC capacitors is usually a low priority issue. Below about
20MHz you can analyze it with good accuracy using any of many 1D
parallel admittance spreadsheet tools out there, including: one Istvan
offers for free on his web site, a freebie from Altera, and one you can
buy from UltraCad. Above about 20MHz the spatial effects of the
interconnect changes what your IC die sees compared to the PCB planes.
Here any number of tools are useful, including commercial products, or
free software like Fast Henry. If you have a decent model for each of
your significant ICs, and software that is at least 2D aware, then you
can reliably predict the plane and IC power delivery. But if you don't
have decent models of your IC's, your models are going to become
fantasies where it counts: resonances created by interaction of the IC
die with the PDN. This tends to happen at frequencies well below bypass
cap network to plane cavity resonance, or the loaded PCB modal
resonances. A $100,000 software tool cannot fix faulty assumptions.

For anything that you are going to do with capacitors, mounted
inductance is the enemy from DC to daylight. More mounted inductance
translates to more parts, and higher Q in each resonance, be it between
the VRM and bulk caps, bulk caps and MLCCs, MLCCs of different values,
or MLCCs and IC die, or MLCCs and the plane cavities. If you are going
to become religious about anything to do with PDN design, battling
inductance is a worthy crusade. Multiterminal caps like X2Y(tm)'s ( I
consult to X2Y(tm) ) offer a lot of help in the battle against
inductance. An exciting recent development is that Samsung is now making
X2Y(tm) caps up to 2uF total in an 0603 package.

So my bottom line is: Get IC data. Understand and limit resonances.
Terminate inductance with extreme prejudice.

Good luck.

Steve

Lars Juul wrote:
> Hej Peter,
> A brief comment on your last statement:
>
>> It looks like I am back in the old days where we build a prototype and then
>>
> started to find the correct components values?
>
> Even though you can literally spend 100K's of $$$ on simulation tools that
> can extract your board layout and simulate your decoupling network, you
> always have to make the call whether it's
>
> a) cheaper and faster to build a few prototypes, building your own set of
> decoupling design rules based on your already good understanding of linear
> systems.
>
> or
>
> b) preferable to come up with a simulation flow where the results are
> correllated to the boards you produce, enabling you to quickly verify your
> layout.
>
> Either way, you need to build a knowledge base of do's and don'ts and that
> experience doesn't come for free.
>
> a) is the choice if you're focusing mostly at perfecting one product at a
> time, and if you or your test and measurement folks are experienced, able to
> effectively pinpoint the defects of a design.
>
> b) is the choice if you have a steady flow of new designs coming enabling
> you to constantly correllate your results and have fewer redesigns. The
> initial matching of simulation and measurements can be a painful, lengthy
> affair, though.
>
> My point is, the EDA folks will always try to convince you that using their
> tools you'll always have hole-in-one designs, but for me prototyping remains
> as the most secure way of ensuring your board works.
>
> And I'd rather put my money on something that works in the lab rather than
> in a simulator.
> But again, that's just my €0.02.
>
> Best regards,
> Lars
>
> 2007/8/20, istvan novak <Istvan.Novak@xxxxxxx>:
>
>> Peter,
>>
>> A few quick answers/observations:
>>
>> 1) How far down the IC needs low impedance?
>> The core power distribution circuit from the chip's perspective is
>> probably OK with a high
>> impedance at 900MHz; the package and/or silicon has to take care of that
>> frequency range.
>> SI and EMI may suffer though; if you happen to route signal traces
>> referencing this core
>> plane, the signal may suffer too much.  Similarly, dependent on the PCB
>> and system
>> constructions, the resonance may create EMI problem.
>>
>> 2) Higher ESR capacitors; do they exist?
>> In ceramic MLCCs, they start to appear on the market.  You can look at
>> the DesignCon
>> 2007 presentations at http://home.att.net/~istvan.novak/papers.html
>>
>> 3) How many of you do power impedance analyses during design?
>> Well, at large OEMs we have to do at least some sort of analysis,
>> sometimes very detailed
>> designs and validations.
>>
>> In general, the problem you notice is the resonance between the
> [...]

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(408) 884-3985 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: